Alexa and a Case of Mistaken Identity

We have an Alexa. We all use her for different purposes. My husband often asks her to play certain music, tell him the weather and to elaborate on random trending topics. I usually only ask her to set timers while cooking. After missing a few Zoom meetings, I now ask her to remind me to show up at some appointments. My teenage son asks her everything. Basic, and I mean basic computation. Historical facts, timers, and answers to random wonderings that cross his mind, like “Can dogs eat broccoli?” I suspect it is generational. If you think it, you can Google it or faster yet, just ask Alexa.

For the most part, she has been kind, courteous and helpful. We have learned to speak with an extra clear pronunciation so she provides us with what we are asking. She has a hard time with some foreign sounding words.

But recently, she seems to think we are someone we are not. Not too long ago, my husband asked her to tell him his schedule as he got ready for his day. Usually it reminds him of various work meetings and appointments. But that day, there was suddenly new items on his schedule. “Alexa, what is my schedule today?” he asked.  Along with a work meeting, she told him he had a 8 AM reminder to take meds, a noon stretch class and another reminder to take evening medication. Who did she think he was? It seemed as if Alexa suddenly thought he was a retired, limber and spry, older woman. For the next couple of weeks, each day she reminded of the same or a similar schedule. She still reminded him of his regular meetings, but also lots of meds, stretching and yoga. He seemed to also have lots of medical appointments now too, that she reminded him of, as well as times pick up and drop of friends, or were they family members?

Is someone trapped in Alexa? Or rather, someone’s Google Calendar? Whose life are we now privy to?  How did we get access? How do we get rid of our uninvited guest? Or rather, how do we delete access?

Many Google searches later, the answer remains. We do not know. What we do know is whomever she/he/they are they have meds in the morning and a doctor’s appointment at 3. I hope they don’t forget.

7 thoughts on “Alexa and a Case of Mistaken Identity

1. Oh my!! That is exactly why my teenager made us unplug our Alexa! Didn’t want anyone “listening” to us.

2. It’s as if you’re getting a slice of someone else’s life! It’s fascinating to imagine what others might infer from the ways we use technology. You do such a nice job here giving us a glimpse, comparing and contrasting the ways members of your own household (plus the mystery person) use Alexa.

3. Oh no! I hope you are able to connect the dots to find this mystery person. My step-daughter’s name is Alyssa, so poor Alexa is always so confused when Alyssa is at the house. Alexa responds to Alyssa’s name, but hasn’t figured out how to unload the dishwasher, feed the dog or do her homework (very similar traits as the human Alyssa).

4. That is so weird! But also kind of entertaining! I wonder if some other family is being told your schedule? Also, I love the way your writing is easy to read and conversational.

5. Such an entertaining slice! It really makes you wonder if anyone else is getting your family’s reminders… I don’t use Alexa, and from reading your encounter, I do not plan to.