Be a Goldfish

I stare at my computer for a good 5 seconds, seeing that I have opened a new tab, and for the life of me I can’t remember why, what was my purpose for opening this new tab. What thought did I have 5 minutes ago that I was acting on, that my brain has now short circuited and left me staring at the Google home screen. This, or something like this, happens to me, and I imagine other, all day long. It got especially bad last week. I am hoping it will let up. I have way too many tabs open on my computer.  I call it Covid Brain, but I suppose it is just good old-fashioned stress with a more interesting name.

So I have taken to lists again, not trusting myself to remember. I have lists on post its, lists in my notebooks, even lists on digital post-its. That helps. And I do love lists, and well, post-its too.

I was watching a great new show, name I can’t remember…sigh, and the main character, a soccer coach tells one of his players who was just fighting with a teammate, “Do you know what the happiest animal in the world is?”

The player looks at him, curiously, not sure where the conversation will go.

“A gold fish,” the coach answers. They have a three second memory. Be a goldfish!”

I laughed and marveled at the coach/teacher’s ability to pull worthy facts for the purpose of motivating his players.

And now I sit here at this computer and I am a fish, but I don’t feel like the happiest animal on earth.

5 thoughts on “Be a Goldfish

1. You have the good kind of Covid brain: The Covid-adjacent fog that has usurped the lives of teachers rather than the Covid fog that follows having been sick w/ Covid. While frustrating now, I bet w/ rest and a return to some semblance of normalcy your brain-fog will dissipate.

2. Sometimes it certainly can be helpful to be a goldfish. I share your habit of opening a tab and struggling to remember what I had planned to investigate. On the other hand, a goldfish would have a hard time getting 15 slices in a row posted! So celebrate the wins!

3. I need my lists. And sometimes when they get too messy, I rewrite the lists. We have to embrace the list! 🙂

4. What a great ending! I love how you lead the reader up to it, but it still comes as a fun twist. Thanks for the chuckle today!