Channeling the Advice of Julie Andrews

Channeling the advice of Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, “when anything is bothering me, I just try and think of nice things.” This is one of my go to strategies when the overwhelm overwhelms me. School re-opening is leaving me to think it is time to think of some nice things.

1. California is such a great state and San Francisco is a great city in within such a wonderful place. I am lucky I get to call it home. Warmish weather most days, oceans and mountains within either a quick bike ride or a longer car drive. I love California. My son is going away to college soon and he wants to leave California and I just think he does not know what he will miss.
  2. My bed is probably my favorite place. I love to lie down, read or sleep. My favorite is after a long, long run, and my body, muscles just sink into the mattress. I try and lift them with my mind and I can’t. So, I give in and the bed fully embraces me in its’s warm hug.
  3. Mexican food is amazing. Whether you are in Southern California or Northern California, it is slightly different but still equally delicious. I have my favorite taqueria and my favorite weekend chorizo con huevos and my favorite pozole place and my favorite aqua fresca. I truly feel sorry for my brother in Sweden with no taqueria to quickly run into and grab something amazing. I’ll order another taco for him next time I visit one of my favorites.

It did the trick. I am feeling better and calmer. I have plenty more favorite things, but feel the pressing need to get back to the thing that drove me to this list. Untill next time…

5 thoughts on “Channeling the Advice of Julie Andrews

1. You make a good case for all of your favorites. I’ve only been to California once, and I loved it. I like this as an alternative to writing a gratitude list. Thank you for the idea.

2. All the best to you as you navigate this next transition. Thank goodness for a few of your favorite things to lift spirits and bring calm. Definitely keeping this idea in my back pocket.