Finding and Using Your Voice

Two months ago I covered literacy instruction for a teacher out on medical leave. In kindergarten. We entered into the world of opinion writing by reading about what it means to be an activist and studying the story of Greta Thunberg. They were intrigued by a kid, like them, speaking her voice and catching the world’s attention. We turned our attention to problems we saw in the classroom and in the school that we also wanted to use our voice and catch our community’s attention. The classroom erupted in pieces reminding their classmates to put caps on pens, pick up trash, use kind words, flush the toilet and more. They looked around the room, around the yard, around the school with eyes wide open for what could be better. And now they realized they had a voice, they could use it to make their class, their yard, their school better. 

Yesterday, I scrolled through my district’s teacher facebook group. Being in a large urban school district I can stay informed about what is going on in schools throughout the city. Recently a rash of student violence has erupted and everyone from the mayor, to the police to teachers are concerned. One teacher kicked around the idea of writing an op-ed for the local newspaper from the teacher perspective. Another teacher, in support posted the link to an organization that supports that endeavor with some tips for writing the piece, the Op-Ed Project. Once click later and I was introduced to an organization whose sole purpose is to support underrepresented voices to share their voice in the nation’s op-ed columns which are dominated by older, white men. Suddenly I felt like all my angst, my midnight ruminations, my despair might have a way out of my head, my heart and make a difference. Maybe, like the kids, I could not just see the problems, but put my words to paper and share with an audience. 

Over the years, when I drive to work, I occasionally  catch a “perspective” on my local public radio station. Each time, I appreciate the story and viewpoint shared by the person and I think, “I can do that. I want to do that.” Years, actually over a decade has gone by and I have done little more than compose the beginning of perspectives in my head and look up the submission criteria on the website. Yesterday, I looked up the submission criteria again and read through a few to see what was out there. I thought to myself, “I could definitely do this. I want to do this. I need to do this.” 

This writing community, the kindergartens have helped my find my voice. Now it is time to share with a larger audience.

8 thoughts on “Finding and Using Your Voice

1. It’s amazing how we are sometimes reminded of our possibilities when we provide them for our own students! We are all really writing op-ed pieces in many of our Slices in this community. I hope to see more posts about how you are using your voice.

2. Thanks for sharing this story. It’s encouraging that even kindergartners can be activists in their community. I teach at an alternative high school and we have a way to go to reach the level of activism of these kindergartners. Good luck on your own activist writing journey as well.

1. Thank You! I suppose the kindergartens are wide open, willing to try anything. Not yet silenced or quieted by others. Thank you for your encouragement and I hope the best for your high schoolers.

3. Good for you! It is a matter of doing now, isn’t it? “I could definitely to this. I want to do this. I need to do this.” Here’s to you taking the time to write that opinion and share it with the world.

4. This is a wonderful post, the closing so beautifully connected to the opening, with kindergarteners at the heart of discovery—both theirs and yours. I also thank you for the sharing the Op-Ed Project resource. I just signed up for their newsletter. When I was reading the “Tips” page, I found this—and thought, “Brilliant.”
    WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING “RIGHT” AND BEING “EFFECTIVE”?
    Does your language tend to write off the people who would disagree with you, or do you employ empathy and respect in the pursuit of changing minds?
    I hope you’ll share one of your editorials with this community right here. I can’t wait to read it!

5. I loved reading about your shift from thinking “I can do this. I want to do this.” to “I could definitely do this. I want to do this. I need to do this.” Juxtaposing this with the kindergartners’ energy for activism is really beautiful.