My Friend Flaca

No, that was not a typo. I am not talking about the classic horse book, My Friend Flicka. I am talking about my actual, or as the kids say too much, my “literal” friend Flaca. She is my oldest, dearest and bestest friend. Growing up, her family called her Flaca, so I did too. Flaca, is Spanish for skinny. The kinda odd part was her sister’s name was Gorda. I don’t think I need to tell you what Gorda means. You can figure it out. And Flaca was indeed flaca. But Gorda was not gorda. She was normal. And her younger sister. Well they called her Boo. I was so jealous of their nicknames seeped in love and familial affection. 

I arrived home today to find a letter in my mailbox from my dear friend Flaca. My eyes saw her swoopy l’s and puffy s’s in her cursive writing and serotonin flooded my system, warming it from the inside out. We no longer live in the same city so we resort to old school letter writing. I ripped it open and out fell a sticker, a big pink heart that said Amigas For Life. Indeed. We have been friends since we were 13 years old and met on the school bus that first day of 8th grade. I was new to town, sat in the first few rows, unsure of myself and painfully shy. When she got on the bus at the next stop, I remember vividly how she plopped herself down next to me, and announced, “Hi, I’m Becky. Want to be friends?” 42 years later I am so glad she asked and I had the sense to nod a shy “yes” in return. 

“I don’t deserve such a good friend,” I told my husband as I unfolded the letter and saw the pages of colorful writing, another sticker and a cartoon. They both made me laugh. It’s not that I think I am unworthy of love and friendship. It’s more that I wonder how did I win the lifelong friend jackpot with Flaca? It is as if  I won the Powerball and I did not even think of my numbers or walk to the corner story to buy a ticket with them on it. That is how lucky I am with Flaca. 

Flaca is thoughtful. She sends me emoji filled texts from time to time wishing me a good day or sharing an old photo of us that she recently uncovered. Ahh, we were so young. Flaca is generous. She sends me tokens of her love in the form of stickers, books, and my favorite, a half a heart for our friendship necklace to replace the one we had as kids. Flaca is funny. She tells me stories of her life, present and past and they always have me in stitches. When we do get together, in the same room, my husband is always incredulous at how much we laugh together, telling stories and remembering old times. So much laughter. So much joy.  Those times are far and between nowadays but they always sustain me till the next time we are together. Because Flaca and I are Amiga For Life. 

7 thoughts on “My Friend Flaca

1. What a lovely friendship! You are lucky, to keep this friendship over time and distance, but I can tell the two of you are also smart in making sure you stay in touch so your friendship stays strong.

2. I love this in every way; those words, ” My eyes saw her swoopy l’s and puffy s’s in her cursive writing and serotonin flooded my system, warming it from the inside out, ” making me feel the kindred warmth between you two. I can almost hear you laughing, that “Oh. my face hurts,” kind! I remember the word, “Gorda” being used in Colombia as an endearment, and in my twenties I used to think, “However could calling someone “Fatty” (or “little fatty” if gordita was the word) ever be considered a good thing? As you say,”their nicknames seeped in love and familial affection.” That’s how!

1. Thanks Trish! It is easy to write pieces when the inspiration is a letter from your oldest, dearest friend.

3. You left out a bunch, like how your friend Flaca used to get notes sent home from the teacher saying how see was “quite a chatterbox” in class and how you two used to ditch school to go to…. well, you left out a bunch.

1. Hi Flaca’s Dad,

I am glad you read it. I hope you know how much your daughter and your family mean to me. Another story to tackle this “ditching” you refer too. : )